Makes 1 (12-inch) pizza.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, fronds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small yukon gold potato, very thinly sliced, 1/8-inch thick (optional)
- 8 ounces prepared pizza dough
- 1 mozzarella ball, about 7 ounces, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces thinly sliced salame
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmigiano cheese
- Chopped Italian parsley
- Fennel pollen (optional)
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil and garlic together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch oven-proof skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium high heat. Add fennel and onion. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and red chili flakes. Saute until fennel brightens in color and edges of fennel and onions begin to brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Optional step: If using using potatoes, add 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Arrange potatoes in one layer in skillet. Sprinkle with salt. Cook until golden brown on both sides, turning once. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat oven broiler. Stretch out the dough to a 12-inch round. Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and swirl around to coat. Lay dough in skillet. Cook over medium heat until the bottom is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip the dough. While the dough continues to cook, brush cooked side with reserved garlic oil. Sprinkle with a little salt. Lay the mozzarella over the dough. Top with potatoes if using. Scatter fennel and onions all over and then top with salame. Sprinkle parmigiano over the pizza and add extra red pepper flakes if desired. When the bottom of the pizza is golden brown, transfer the skillet to oven. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove and transfer to a cutting board. Sprinkle with parsley and fennel pollen, if using.